Sunday, January 25, 2009

Introduction to Muktaakara

Open Source Software Development method has been successful in giving us many gems of software ranging from full-fledged operating systems to extremely helpful little utilities. I have been taking a look at a few of the open source projects over the last couple of years, mostly from the Apache Software Foundation, and have been using them to varying extents. The fact that I am mainly a .NET developer, and these open source projects generally come in Java, or LAMP solution stacks has been a bit of a proverbial “thorn in the flesh”, but quite a bit of an enjoyable challenge too.

In my open source customization journey, it appears that most of the little subtasks involved are always trying to cross that thin line between being an enterprising challenge and a painful roadblock. I feel that one of the main reasons for this state is the lack of proper documentation, which is synonymous with most open source development projects. So, what you can expect in this blog here, are a few problems I have faced in getting certain things working in a few of these open source softwares that I am using, and an account of how I was able to solve it for myself, if ever. This is in a hope that it might become useful for someone else, facing same kind of issues in using them. I wouldn’t want to call myself an expert, and most of these solutions would be quick fixes which worked for me, after going through a collection of whatever documentation was available, discussions that have taken place around similar issues, and the likes.

No comments:

Post a Comment